Bellazon

Josie Maran

THE INSIDER: JOSIE MARAN

Beauty and brains? The model-turned-organic makeup maven spills her secret.

Josie Maran is not your average model-slash-actress-slash-whatever. After logging hundreds of hours getting her makeup done for photo shoots, the California native with a green streak started wondering about the products being put on her face. A little bit of research led to a lot of research, which eventually led to Josie Maran Cosmetics. Nearly two years later and the former face of Maybelline is now behind one of the most covetable, naturally luxe makeup lines. NYLON sat down with Maran to find out just what it takes to be both a beauty and a brain.

When did you decide you wanted to release your own beauty collection?

I was in a lot of makeup chairs, and it just became about looking for healthier options. They just weren’t out there. But I had no idea what I was getting myself into!

What was the hardest part about launching the line?

Making it “good enough” for makeup artists. Mascara was the hardest formula to make—I worked for Maybelline, and they sell one every second, so it had to be good.

A lot of your products use Argan oil. What do you like about it?

I fell in love with it—it’s good for stretch marks, for hair, for healing, for moisturizing…It’s currently in 90 percent of my products, and it will be in 100 percent of them soon.

What’s next for the line?

I’ll probably do an acne wipe - a 3-in-1 with a cleanser, an acne product, and moisturizer. I’m really into eco-vation! Oh, and then a natural fragrance.

Who are your beauty icons?

My mom is my personal beauty icon—she doesn’t wear a lot of makeup, but she’s starting to. I’m kind of obsessed with Kate Moss, and always have been. Anita Roddick from The Body Shop is my main mentor. I never met her, but I read her books. And Jeanine Lobell, from Stila, was one of my original mentors.

What did you learn from their business models?

It’s all about empowering women. If you want to start a business, just go out and do it!

Do you have any non-green guilty pleasures?

It used to be Crème de la Mer. But once you know too much, you can’t go back!

Nobody has forgotten what today day?

Today at Josie birthday :fun:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOSIE!!! :hug:

I wish you to remain same beautiful and cheerful as well as always. I wish good health and well-being.

Good luck to you with prosperity of your cosmetic line.